Monday, March 30, 2009

Tokyo 18/2/2009

We actually explored the north-east side of Tokyo when we first arrived in Japan 2 weeks ago. We thought that we wouldn't really have the time to do so, but it's all the matter of how much walking and sleep one's willing to sacrifice :).

By the time we left Narita and got to our hotel, it was past 4 p.m if I remember correctly. The express train from Narita took almost 90 minutes, and it wasn't the most comfortable ride I've ever had. Especially after staying over in Changi Airport the night before without any sleep.

Finding our hotel was a bit of a challenge. It's a pretty small place that's located on a street behind the main road. But good samaritans are everywhere :)! All I did was hold the railway map in my hand and I was approached by a lovely lady asking me if I needed direction to get to the station. When I told her I was looking for the hotel, she looked at my hotel map and tried to get her bearings. But before long, when we both couldn't make sense where it was, she whipped out her phone and rang the hotel for me for directions! Not only that, she then walked me to the hotel. That my friend, is the kind local hospitality that one dreams of when travelling. Not to mention it happening more than once :P. *I am beginning to think that it's just because I look perpectually lost!*

Anyway, after checking in, we decided to head to Lawsons to get our tickets for Ghibli Museum, the animation museum :). Getting the tickets itself was a laugh. While Gary printed off the instructions on how to get the tickets from the machine, it didn't exactly work that way. Someone needs to update that website that gave such instructions! We stood there for quite a while, getting stuck at one of the steps.. and when we got help, the lady started pressing all sorts of buttons *no way we could remember what she was doing & it was so much more than the 'instructed steps' *, and finally getting our ticket. And had my name printed in Japanese on the tickets (O.O) .

Finally, we tend made our way to Ueno Park, which was fairly near where we stayed. The park itself was pretty big, and the Ueno Zoo was located next to it. We had some trouble finding it as it was actually a little uphill from the Ueno Station exits. It was almost sunset when we first got there, so there wasn't that much time to explore.


Kiyomizu Kannon-do
My first picture in Japan :)


Behind Kiyomizu Kannon-do


Twilight in the Park

The pictures in the park after this... let's just say I don't really have an idea of what I was taking. No park map and no lights - makes me a very lost person.


Walking to Gojoten Shrine


The shrine.. *I think* Or maybe it was... outside the shrine.

I honestly have no idea what the picture above is suppose to be, but it was surrounded by other praying statues/buildings. There was also an area that is something like a cave, with a lot of cat statues. It was a little eerie when we got there, partially because it was pretty late at night. But it was a pretty interesting sight. It was... to the left of the shrine above.


5 tier Pagoda


The Toshogu Shrine

I hate taking pictures when its dark! This photo so does not do justice for the place - not to mention it was closed by the time we got there *sigh*. The Toshogu Shrine was built in honour of Tokugawa Ieyasu by his grandson, is a counterpart from the one in Nikko. The 5 tier Pagoda is located just about next to the shrine, though I think one need to enter the zoo to get nearer to the Pagoda, which we obviously didn't.

By then, we were walking in the dark and hence decided to leave the park for dinner. Now, dinner was another totally new experience (as it was our first night). Never have I walked so long and far to look dinner. Our criterias for finding a place :
1) Japanese food
2) Hot meal
3) Picture menu (This is the most important one!!)
4) More than 5 customers in the shop

Let's just say we walked a very long walk, though it wasn't too bad as there was plenty to see and the lights, GOSH!! The lights... I am amazed with the lights.

Streets in Ueno


Mangasssss!!!
It wasn't just one row.. there was at least 3.

We ended up at a chain food restaurant, where the food wasn't too bad although a little pricey as we discovered later. But it was a hot meal, I had my picture menu and the place was packed! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment