Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Kapalai, Sabah (Part 2)

*Caution : Loads of pictures on this post*

Decided to make Kapalai into 2 posts as a single one will not be able to justify it's glory :). As I was saying, the resort offers a 6* service with it's diving services. This is one site that I never had to assemble my own equipment, to carry my own tank onto the boat. They even help me put on my gear! (minus the wetsuit bit :P). For those who wants to be really spoiled, they even offer to take your camera and soak it in the tubs for you. and then bring it to the boat for you after! :) Weight belts are on the boat ready for you. Everything is tagged to your name or room number, so that when you wake up, you only need to grab breakfast and hop on the boat! Such joy~!

There is significantly more photos on this post compared to the one before - we have finally learned how to use correctly :). *though, picture qualities are still pretty crap :(*

Gloomy start to day 3


Another one of my favourite


Anemone crabs






Flounder? Or is it soles? Still cant figure it out

Black pitted snake eel


Seamoths

More nudis

Ornet's Ghost Pipe


Crab eye goby
*take a guess where the eyes are :)*


And nudi


Blenney


Dwarf Zebra Lionfish


In pair






Crocodile fish


Clown Frogfish


Turtle close-up


Mandarin fish
*sunset dive*

And now..............
SIPADAN GALORE!!!! :)




How majestic :)


And next, my favourite bit - Vortex of Barracuda!! I remember exactly how my previous experience with the vortex was in 2003. We were just diving along, admiring a school of trevalleys and was just drifting along with the current and suddenly, there was a large shadow and the whole area looked much darker. The next thing I knew, I was staring at this large vortex of barracudas. It was amazing! :)

Barracuda vortex




And I didn't only see it once in this trip, I saw it twice! :) *both at Barracuda Point*


Dwarf Scorpion Fish


Reef Shark


:)



Still don't have a clue what this is :(


Another favourite


Many-spotted sweetlips




Taking a break :)


We stopped here a couple of times, for snacks and lunch. Our resort was pretty good in providing us with plenty of food, so no complains there. It may not have been the best in the world, but when you're hungry, does it really matter? :P

In between the dives, the boy had donated his mask to the marine lifes of Sipadan, so there was only so many things that he could have seen and was no longer keen for the next few dives. But luckily our divemaster managed to find one for him to borrow, so that he could go on the next dive. It was well worth it - we saw the vortex of barracuda again! :)



I was beginning to think that there's no way anyone is not going to be able to see it. I have always seen in when I dived at Barracuda Point! But when he went again a couple of weeks ago, apparently they couldn't sight the vortex. How unfortunate!




:)


I remember suddenly finding myself in the middle of the vortex. It was an experience out of the world. I was literally surrounded by barracudas circling me. It was a little scary initially, but once I relaxed, it was amazing!

And of course - even more turtles. I forgot how many I've seen. It was to the point that I was going, "Oh yeap, another turtle. Okay, let's see if I can find something else." But I absolutely love the two shots below :).



Love this shot of him and the turtle :)

We managed to cram the 4 dives before tea, and headed back towards Kapalai. Weren't able to do any more dives as we were due to fly within the next 24 hours, so we took the time and explored the resort.

Man-made beach

When the tide is low, one is able to actually walk on the sandbar. It is surprisingly shallow in the area and with the clear waters, it would have been great. But we were too late, the tide was already in by that time, and we weren't keen on taking another shower :P.

Waking up to this daily :)



View during breakfast :)


Dive shop/preparation site

And then it was time to leave :(

Bye bye for now :(

I'm sure we'll be back :)

No comments:

Post a Comment